Assumption School was founded in 1949 under the pastoral leadership of Father McArtle. The graduation of the first class of students occurred in 1953. The school flourished for 28 years under the efforts of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In 1979, the sisters withdrew from the school and a lay principal was appointed.
In the late eighties the school began to weather financial challenges. Father John Fosselman, pastor for three decades, appealed to the Archbishop regarding the school’s financial insolvency and great need of repair. In 1990 upon Father John’s retirement and the installation of a new pastor and another religious principal, a Sister of the Holy Faith, the Archdiocese selected Assumption School to embark upon an aggressive journey to restructure its educational model and stabilize institutional advancement. With the partnership of the Archdiocese and the generosity of kind benefactors the physical plant of the school was repaired and upgraded. By 1991 however, due to low enrollment and decreasing availability of funds, the Archdiocese began the process to close Assumption School and other low income schools. Because of the retention of the Parent/Alumni Board established in 1993 and their fund-raising efforts, Assumption School was allowed to remain open.
Later in 1993, due to economics and the scores on the Standard Achievement Tests, Assumption School qualified for a Title 1 full time instructor as well as a bungalow which has housed a variety of computer work stations and received technological updates since. Qualified students work daily in this resource room in an attempt to raise language skills in reading comprehension and writing.
Beginning 1998, the former principal worked closely with a grant writer and the Development Board, and obtained several grants that assisted with the school’s financial stability. Later the Development Board transformed to the current Alumni and Friends Leadership Committee with the continued focus of assisting in the school’s financial development.
From September 2002 through November 2002 the Department of Catholic Schools initiated an archdiocesan wide Strategic Planning Process. Through this comprehensive study the Archdiocese made the recommendation to the Regional Bishop to close Assumption School at the end of the school year, June 2002. After presenting the recommendation to parish leaders and school families, both expressed the need and viability of the school in the parish. The pastor, school parents, alumni and friends made a strong commitment to work more collaboratively in addressing the needs of the school and moving Assumption in closer alignment to the guidelines of the Department of Catholic Education.
In light of this major development, a new administrative team was created and was in effect between August 2003 and February 2005. It was comprised of the pastor, principal, and director of development. In this model the principal was able to focus primarily on the school program and the director of development on the area of finances. The previous school principal was named director of development, her duties included, continuing to seek out much needed outside funding sources, in order to meet the school’s financial commitments and provide essential resources for the instructional program.
In February 2005 the school returned to the traditional administrative model, which consists of the pastor, principal and vice-principal.
In spite of the fact that the school is located in Boyle Heights, one of the poorest and most violent areas of Los Angeles, it is seen as a beacon of hope in the neighborhood, which is comprised of mainly Latino immigrant families who are predominately Spanish speaking. The pastor, principal, and faculty and Alumni and Friends Leadership Committee are making every attempt to promote the school within the community, to increase enrollment, and to provide the students they serve with a quality education which prepares them for a productive life in the community.