Founded in 1949, Assumption School provides the unique values of catholic elementary education to low-income inner city children so they can develop their talents, discover a foundation for lifelong learning, and become socially responsible Christian leaders.
We, the members of Assumption School community believe in the message of Jesus Christ and the mission of the Catholic Church. As a community of believers, we value the uniqueness of each child, respect the parents as the primary educators of their children and foster a spirit of family and parish. We believe each child is called in a unique way to develop his/her talents and potential necessary for assuming roles of Christian leadership in the world of which they are a part. Furthermore, we provide a holistic educational program for our students, which integrate Catholic values with intellectual, social, technological, and physical skills necessary to live responsible lives.
Academic and Religious Programs
All children attending Assumption School participate in daily Religious instructions, say prayers and attend various Religious functions. Through daily Religion lessons and liturgical functions and Christian service, we strive to provide our students with opportunities for deepening their religious experience.
Program of Studies
- Basic Grade Level Program
- Family Life Program
- AIDS/HIV Awareness Program (NCEA)
- Human Sexuality
- Language Arts/Standard Based
- Social Studies
- Physical Education
- NPS/Title I Program (No child left behind)
- Computer Lab
- Computer Keyboarding, Internet Research, Pre-Algebra 6th-8th grade
It is the privilege of Assumption School to prepare children for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. The reception of a Sacrament brings special blessings on the entire family, home, school, and parish.
Families with children (grades 2nd – 8th) seeking to receive these Sacraments need to inform their classroom teacher.
Children who are new to the community/school and who are in grades 3rd – 8th must have received 2 years of religious instruction (including CCD) prior to receiving the Sacrament.
- Daily Religion instruction
- Daily Prayer
- Curriculum Integrated with Catholic values
- School Liturgies
- School Prayer Services
- Retreat for 8th graders
- Class Mass (All grade levels)
- Stations of the Cross (During Lent)
- Mission Awareness (Holy Childhood Association and Columbian Mission Program)
- May Crowning and Devotions
- Sacramental Program Grade 2
- Family Life Program Grades 1-8
- Christian Service Projects Kinder – 8th
- Holy Childhood Association
- St. Jude Math-A-Thon